Re: kernel-package??

On Thursday 30 April 2009 09:51:54 Michael Pobega wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 09:24:43AM -0500, Randy Patterson wrote:
> > I'm looking to start using my own custom kernels for various reasons. At
> > this point I'm just researching the various options or ways in going
> > about this and in the process installed kernel-package. I learned the
> > hard way a couple years ago when I first started using Linux that before
> > diving into documentation I first need to try to determine it's age. So
> > after installing kernel-package the first thing I did was go to the
> > bottom of the man page and looked at the date, May 25, 1999! Now I
> > realize that is not necessarily the date of the last update but this
> > doesn't give me a good feeling about diving into it's details that could
> > be 10 years old. So is it better to just use an upstream source from
> > kernel.org and build that or will that only create more work trying to
> > get that running with a current Debian distro? I'm certainly not looking
> > for a detailed howto on this list, but looking for advise on the road to
> > take to get there. Or at least the road with more pros than cons. Thanks,
> > Randy
>
> Just fyi, kernel-package isn't a kernel itself; it's the tools used to
> build a vanilla kernel (like the ones from kernel.org) into a deb file.

I guess I assumed that kernel-package was to build the kernel from the source
used by the current Debian distro installed. So if that's not the case and I
decided to use the latest stable from kernel.org, is it advantageous to use
kernel-package or find a good howto and learn to build and install using a more
low level approach. I'm mainly looking at just optimizing the config file for a
particular systems to building a leaner meaner kernel. I have some older
systems that don't do anything but grid computing. I thought if I removed a
lot of the stuff that wasn't being used in the kernel I could speed these up a
little.

Randy