kernel-package??

I'm looking to start using my own custom kernels for various reasons. At this
point I'm just researching the various options or ways in going about this and
in the process installed kernel-package. I learned the hard way a couple years
ago when I first started using Linux that before diving into documentation I
first need to try to determine it's age. So after installing kernel-package the
first thing I did was go to the bottom of the man page and looked at the date,
May 25, 1999! Now I realize that is not necessarily the date of the last
update but this doesn't give me a good feeling about diving into it's details
that could be 10 years old. So is it better to just use an upstream source
from kernel.org and build that or will that only create more work trying to
get that running with a current Debian distro? I'm certainly not looking for a
detailed howto on this list, but looking for advise on the road to take to get
there. Or at least the road with more pros than cons. Thanks, Randy