Re: Installing xfce 4.6 on Lenny

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 08:48:48 -0400, Rob McBroom posted:

> On 2009-Apr-29, at 2:40 AM, Magnus Pedersen wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't mix stable and testing, get XFCE from backports if it is
>> available or run testing.
>
> Someone on another list once told me:
>
>      "As long as you can install the package from Debian unstable
> directly
>      on stable, which has always been the case, it's against the policy of
>      backports.org to accept an upload."
>
> Any truth to that? It would explain why XFCE isn't there.

But for a very few exceptions (security related) backport packages come
from packages in testing, not unstable. That is backport policy.

If a package from another branch can be installed directly in Lenny
(stable), no dependency issues, then there is nothing to "backport", eh?
So there wouldn't be a reason for the package to be in the backports
repository.