Re: can't install xfdesktop from unstable

Harry Rickards wrote:

> JoeHill wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I'm using Debian Testing but with apt-pinning so that I can get stuff from
> > unstable as well.
> >
> > I installed XFCE 4.6 from unstable, and all went well up to a point. There
> > was an update to 4.6.1 recently, looks like everything except xfdesktop
> > came down. Now I've been stuck in this situation for about a week:
> >
> > node1:/home/joehill# apt-get -t unstable install xfdesktop4
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
> > requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
> > distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
> > or been moved out of Incoming.
> > The following information may help to resolve the situation:

> >   xfdesktop4: Depends: xfdesktop4-data (= 4.6.0-2) but 4.6.1-1 is to be
> > installed E: Broken packages
> >
> > I think I saw on here once where one could check to see what packages are
> > waiting to be uploaded to unstable, but I can't find it now (should have
> > noted it, I know).
> >
> > Any tips?
> >
> I'm no expert with apt stuff by any means, but you could try using
> aptitude, as everyone seems to say it can resolve dependencies better
> than apt-get.

Good tip, but still no go:

node1:/home/joehill# aptitude -t unstable install xfdesktop4
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
The following packages are BROKEN:
  xfdesktop4
  libxfce4menu-0.1-0{a}
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 433 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/203kB of archives. After unpacking 1090kB will be used.
  xfdesktop4: Depends: xfdesktop4-data (= 4.6.0-2) but it is not installable

Keep the following packages at their current version:
xfdesktop4 [Not Installed]

I think what is likely happening is that a new enough xfdesktop simply has not
been uploaded to unstable, but I am not sure how to check that :-\

Thanks!