emacs22 and version control

Hi,

I upgrade my emacs from emacs21 to emacs22, but the default version
control for rcs files are not working any more.

According to
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Version-
Control.html
"VC is enabled by default in Emacs."

and I never have to do anything before to get emacs and version control
work for rcs[1]. Do I have to do anything special for emacs22?

Further, "currently, it [emacs VC] supports ... Subversion", any one
knows how to utilize it please? How about git?

Thanks a lot

[1]. As per http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/RCS-8.html

"When editing a file with emacs(1) which is registered with RCS, the
command vc-toggle-read-only (bound to C-x C-q by default) will check a
file in to the emacs's Version Control, and then into RCS. Emacs will
open a buffer where you can type a log message to be included in the RCS
log. . . "

but all I get is

 File is under version-control; use C-x v v to check in/out [2 times]

without getting into the vc log message buffer.

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/