A Font Size is a Font Size is a Font Size ... not in Iceweasel it's not!

Howdy, List!

I bet all Iceweasel (or FireFox, for that matter) users have noticed
this.

Iceweasel/FireFox fonts are waaay smaller than your desktop fonts. For
example, if you limit the smallest font in Iceweasel to the size of
your menu/desktop/GUI fonts, it will actually be displayed as a tiny
font of about half their size. Vice versa, to get
web pages to display fonts visually equivalent to, say, your size-8
menu font, you must set the smallest Iceweasel font to as
high as
14!

I'd be really grateful if a person skilled in the art would explain
this to me. Why is a size-14 font in Iceweasel visually no bigger than
a size-8 font in the rest of the
GUI??? When did font sizes become a matter of... uhm, opinion?

TIA

--
Certifiable Loonix User 481801