Re: A Font Size is a Font Size is a Font Size ... not in Iceweasel it's not!

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 7:48 PM, Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
> Howdy, List!
>
> I bet all Iceweasel (or FireFox, for that matter) users have noticed
> this.
>
> Iceweasel/FireFox fonts are waaay smaller than your desktop fonts. For
> example, if you limit the smallest font in Iceweasel to the size of
> your menu/desktop/GUI fonts, it will actually be displayed as a tiny
> font of about half their size. Vice versa, to get
> web pages to display fonts visually equivalent to, say, your size-8
> menu font, you must set the smallest Iceweasel font to as
> high as
> 14!
>
> I'd be really grateful if a person skilled in the art would explain
> this to me. Why is a size-14 font in Iceweasel visually no bigger than
> a size-8 font in the rest of the
> GUI??? When did font sizes become a matter of... uhm, opinion?
As a web developer, i think it's my duty to answer your question, so i
made a experiment, and found that, the number you setup in firefox
preference is in a unit called px, for example, i changed the font
size to 10, then it means 10px, it's usual, for web pages often use px
as the size unit, while the font size you setup in other places, for
example in the system-preferences-appearence, the unit might be pt, pt
is a bigger unit than px, so you got your question. it's also usual,
for desktop applications usually use pt as size unit.

I hope I'm right. :)