Re: KDE4 dual monitor window maximizing behaviour

In <[🔎] 75in79F18bn7sU1@mid.dfncis.de>, M. Henne wrote:
>Thank you again for your patience.

No problem.  I like helping when I can.  Unfortunately, I may have run out
of advice.

>Unfortunately I haven't made it so far, but I think I can
>give a more detailed description of my systems behaviour.

That's usually good.

>I've played a bit with the settings you told me and I noticed,
>that my system supports two monitors to some degree. E.g. I can
>tell KDE to use different background images for each monitor.

I suppose that is a start.

>Here http://81.169.152.37/screens/xinerama-1.jpeg you can
>see, that I have two different background pictures.

Similar here, although my right-hand monitor is larger than my left hand
monitor.

>In the
>systemsettings for the Login-Manager, my two screens are
>identified as shown here:
>http://81.169.152.37/screens/xinerama-3.jpeg
>When I press 'identify Screens' the right one is identified
>(correctly) as screen '1', the left one is screen '2'.

Same here.

>In my systemsettings in the dialog 'Display' if have no
>signs of having two monitors at all. The dialog is shown here:
>http://81.169.152.37/screens/xinerama-2.jpeg

Similar here.

>If I press 'identify outputs' it identifies only one
>big screen as 'default' as shown here:
>http://81.169.152.37/screens/xinerama-4.jpeg

Same here.

>I would expect the settings for windows opening and maximizing
>behaviour at this place.

I looked and looked and I simply cannot find the setting that adjusts which
monitor new windows appear on by defaults.  I know I saw this setting at one
point, but that may have been before I switched to KDE 4.2, which was the
week KDE 4.2 hit experimental.

I also cannot find a setting to adjust whether maximization is across all
screens on just one.

>It seems like it works half-way. I am still not able to maximize
>a window to only one monitor and to force new windows to open
>on screen 1 (left).

I am unable to maximize across both monitors.  When a window is maximized
(completely, horizontal, or vertical), is only spans one screen.  I have had
games and similar go across both monitors, but that is generally undesired
because my combined monitors area is non-rectangular.

I remember the setting that adjusted which screen new windows appeared on,
and I left it on the default: "current", which works well for me.  I do
remember that you could set it on one in particular, if you wanted.

With my currently addled brain, it is possible I am remembering these
settings from when I was running "real" Xinerama instead of TwinView, but I
really don't think that /should/ make a difference.

>Here's my complete configuration.
>Do you see a mistake in it?

No.

At this point, the only thing I can suggest is trying with a new user or at
least a new .kde directory.  (You don't need to delete the old one to test,
just move it to a different name.)  Either your settings or my settings are
not the default -- and I can't find anything in mine that would affect how
windows maximize.  I searched, hoping I could, at least, tell you which
config file and setting to alter to get the behavior you wanted, even if it
didn't show up in the UI.  I failed.

What version of kwin are you running, just for my information?

I believe your X is set up correctly now.  Perhaps you might have better
luck asking on a more KDE-specific mailing list, like debian-kde or kde-
linux.