Re: KDE4 dual monitor window maximizing behaviour

Hoy Stephen,

Thank you again for your patience.

Unfortunately I haven't made it so far, but I think I can
give a more detailed description of my systems behaviour.

I've played a bit with the settings you told me and I noticed,
that my system supports two monitors to some degree. E.g. I can
tell KDE to use different background images for each monitor.

I made a view screenshots to demonstrate the problem:

Here http://81.169.152.37/screens/xinerama-1.jpeg you can
see, that I have two different background pictures. In the
systemsettings for the Login-Manager, my two screens are
identified as shown here:

http://81.169.152.37/screens/xinerama-3.jpeg

When I press 'identify Screens' the right one is identified
(correctly) as screen '1', the left one is screen '2'.

In my systemsettings in the dialog 'Display' if have no
signs of having two monitors at all. The dialog is shown here:

http://81.169.152.37/screens/xinerama-2.jpeg

If I press 'identify outputs' it identifies only one
big screen as 'default' as shown here:

http://81.169.152.37/screens/xinerama-4.jpeg

I would expect the settings for windows opening and maximizing
behaviour at this place.

It seems like it works half-way. I am still not able to maximize
a window to only one monitor and to force new windows to open
on screen 1 (left).

Here's my complete configuration (changed after your
suggestions, I guess I wouldnt need the Monitor-sections
anymore...)

Do you see a mistake in it?

// /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "ServerLayout"
  Identifier     "TwinView"
  Screen         0 "Default Screen (TwinView)"
  Option         "Xinerama" "off"
  InputDevice    "StandardKeyboard" "CoreKeyboard"
  InputDevice    "logitechOpticalMouse" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    FontPath        "unix/:7100"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load           "dbe"
    Load           "glx"
    Load           "v4l"
    Load           "extmod"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option         "AllowMouseOpenFail"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "StandardKeyboard"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "de"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option         "XkbRules" "xfree86"
    Option         "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
    Option         "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "logitechOpticalMouse"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Buttons" "5"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "Name" "Logitech Optical Mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "explorerps/2"
    Option         "Vendor" "Sysp"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "samtronMonitor"
    VendorName     "SAMTRON"
    ModelName      "96P97P(T)"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 93.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 160.0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "belineaMonitor"
    VendorName     "103050"
    ModelName      "Belinea"
    HorizSync       28.0 - 95.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 160.0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier      "Default Screen (TwinView)"
  Device          "nVidia 8800 GTX (TwinView)"
  DefaultDepth    24
  SubSection "Display"
          Depth   24
  EndSubSection
  SubSection "Display"
          Depth   8
  EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Device"
  Identifier      "nVidia 8800 GTX (TwinView)"
  Driver          "nvidia"
  Option          "ConnectedMonitor" "crt,crt"
  Option          "ConstantDPI" "off"
  Option          "CursorShadow" "true"
  Option          "MetaModes" "1280x960, 1280x960; 1280x960, NULL ;
1152x864, NULL ; 1024x768, NULL ; 800x600, NULL ; 640x480, NULL"
  Option          "NoLogo" "false"
  Option          "NoTwinViewXineramaInfo" "false"
  Option          "RandRRotation" "on"
  Option          "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "28-95"
  Option          "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "50-160"
  Option          "TwinView" "on"
  Option          "TwinViewOrientation" "LeftOf"
  BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

// end of /etc/X11/xorg.conf

--