Re: hal documentation

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 16:06, Paul Scott <paslist@ultrasw.com> wrote:
> Kelly Clowers wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 15:36, Paul Scott <paslist@ultrasw.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> How can I learn how to tell Hal about my monitor's frequencies so I can
>>> fix
>>> the resolution?
>>>
>>> Running Debian sid.  I have spent lots of time Googling, etc. with no
>>> answers.
>>>
>>> FWIW the monitor is a Dell 770
>>> Horizontal scan range : 30 - 70 kHz (automatic)
>>> Vertical scan range : 50 - 160 Hz (automatic)
>>>

>> I think for output devices that do not properly autoconfigure, you either
>> continue to use xorg.conf
>
> I will try that.  I was trying to learn to work with the "new" way.

I haven't seen anything about monitor info in fdi files. All this
hal stuff lately  has been about input devices only.

>> or you use xrandr (in a script or something).
>>
>> xrandr 1.2 info:
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=927
>> http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12
>>

> xrandr seems to use the faulty info from Hal and won't go above 800x600.

can't you override it with:
xrandr --newmode <ModeLine>

(modeline generated by gtf or cvt)

and then activate it on a screen with something like:
xrandr --addmode vga 1024x768

I admit I haven't had to try any of this myself.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers