Re: hal documentation

Paul Scott wrote:
Hi,

How can I learn how to tell Hal about my monitor's frequencies so I can fix the resolution?

Running Debian sid. I have spent lots of time Googling, etc. with no answers.

FWIW the monitor is a Dell 770
Horizontal scan range : 30 - 70 kHz (automatic)
Vertical scan range : 50 - 160 Hz (automatic)

TIA for any ideas,

Paul Scott

hi paul,

read this thread with much intererest. i knew the same problem. several times i installed lenny on different (3 year old) mmachines with no other possibility than a maximum resolution of 800x600. frustrating. i could solve it with the sgfxi-script for my nvidia-chip(s).

i agree with the remarks in a former thread in which dirk loud and clear asks for a decoupling of hal and udev (for the time being)

a couple of months ago i pleaded for a return to the system of xserver-xfree86 when with the dpkg-reconfigure command all the possibilities i.c. were offered 'on a tray' as a manner of speaking. some kind soul gave me than a eschatological answer: 'things will be better soon' (but they are not yet).

i am sorry i can not help you further out,

kind regards,

steef