Re: Partitioning Harddisk

On 2009/04/24 02:08 (GMT+0200) Ogya Chief composed:

> I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Windows Vista preinstalled. I am having endless problems with this OS and I decided to install Debian Linux 5 on it and dual boot.

> I started the installation and got to the disk partitioning stage. There were four partitions on the disk (#1 to #4), with free space on #2. Without thinking carefully about it, I resized partition #2 and now it is unusable, the new partition being between #2 and #3.

> In the first place I do not know whether MS Vista requires all four partitions. If it does not need all four partitions then I can delete them. What can I do about it? I could not undo the changes I made though I did not write them to disk.

If Vista has 4 partitions it's probably because the machine's vendor chose
for it to be like that. Vista can live with only one, though like with any
OS, it makes good sense to segregate OS and data via partitioning if not well
done otherwise.

Vista comes with a partition resizer built in. From what I've read, no one
who has used it has been disappointed with its results. I suggest doing *all*
your partitioning with it, then installing to the resulting existing
partitions. Using more than one partitioning tool on a system is an
invitation for needless trouble.

http://fm.no-ip.com/install-doz-after.html
--
"He who works his land will have abundant food, but the
one who chases fantasies will have his fill of poverty."

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/