Re: default web browser

On 17 Apr 2009, Mark Grieveson wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 19:00:05 +0000 (UTC)
> debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
>
> > Here's your problem. For some reason you are missing the
> > x-www-browser=20 link. You could try:
> >
> > # update-alternatives --auto x-www-browser
> > # aptitude reinstall iceweasel
> > # aptitude purge iceweasel && aptitude install iceweasel
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  Instead, I manually set the link via
> update-alternatives --set option.  So, the x-www-browser link is now
> correct.  However, OOo3 still uses lynx.  I'm not sure what to do,
> though I think I'll now open a new thread on the update-alternatives
> python-gtk mess I've got.
>
> I can't wait to discover what else is screwed up on my system.
>
> Mark

This is a long shot, but if you still haven't fixed this problem, see if
you have /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache or
/usr/local/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache. I think, though I'm not
sure, that it is placed there by gnome.

The reason I'm suggesting it is that I was finding that on my system
something was calling gimp to read pdf files instead of xpdf for one
application (specifically for zotero). It was overriding my preference
set in firefox. I don't use any desktop manager but I may have tried
gnome at some time in the past.

Anthony
--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk