Re: firmware-linux

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 02:45:33PM -0700, Justin The Cynical wrote:
> Chris Davies wrote:

[snip]

>> If I wasn't such a diehard Debian advocate, I'd have seriously considered
>> moving to another distribution. On the other hand, I can completely
>> understand /why/ Debian installations no longer include non-free
>> software. I'm not completely sure where I sit on the Convenience vs
>> FOSS seesaw.
>
> From my own personal experience, the grass isn't any greener on the
> other side of the install disc.  I have experimented with CentOS
> installs within VM's and compared to this annoyance in Lenny, Lenny is
> still a walk in the park.
>
> While there is a tarball available for the firmware that was moved
> around
> (http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/lenny/current/),
> I do feel that the issue is big enough that a bigger warning should be
> made in the install notes
> (http://debian.org/releases/stable/debian-installer/).

maybe there should be a how to to change the image to include the
firmware deb ?  This could be added on site.

Another thought for remote install's what baout pxe-boot and add it to
that image

--
"The point now is how do we work together to achieve important goals. And one such goal is a democracy in Germany"

	- George W. Bush
05/05/2006
Washington, DC