Re: no sound on lenny

On Friday 17 April 2009 23:09, you wrote:
> Nigel,
>
> Ok, thanks.
>
> I installed the oss-compat package, and rebooted. This time I heard the
> speaker pop, at least.
>
> When I ran aplay again still no sound.
> I double-checked my mute status and volume levels again in alsamixer and
> everything looks fine.
>
> Output from new lsmod is as follows:
>
> snd_hda_intel         325688  6
> snd_pcm_oss            32832  0
> snd_mixer_oss          12320  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                62596  4 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_seq_dummy           2660  0
> snd_seq_oss            24992  0
> snd_seq_midi            5728  0
> snd_rawmidi            18528  1 snd_seq_midi
> snd_seq_midi_event      6432  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
> snd_seq                41456  6
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event snd_timer
>      17800  4 snd_pcm,snd_seq
> snd_seq_device          6380  5
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq snd
>       45604  17
> snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd
>_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device soundcore               6368  1 snd
> snd_page_alloc          7816  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

A pop is a good start. Are you sure that alsamixer shows no analog loopback
controls? If they are there, mute them.

Which desktop are you using? KDE, or Gnome. I ask because Kmix is known to
mess the mixer settings up when logging in. Mind you, if you have opened
alsamixer on the CLI once logged in, and checked settings, that should have
overidden any problem there. I'll come back tomorrow, as it's getting late.

Nigel.