Dell Poweredge 2300/500 i2o:iop0: Unable to start controller

Unit has 1G ram 6x 18G drives configured as following:
2 as raid 1 partitioned
500M /boot
10G /
5G /usr
and remainder as swap ~1G

4 drives in raid 5 as a /svr

Discs are connected to the Perc2/SC controller, primary on board
controller is set to disabled, secondary on board controller has
CD-ROM drive attached.

Install was uneventful wend well, no error messages.
Upon reboot there is a message:
At about 4 seconds into the boot:
i2o:iop0: Unable to start controller.
Then after 60 seconds a stack trace:
Null pointer exception.

If someone could give me pointers that would be great.
If you need the entire text of the stack trace I will have to copy it by hand.

Install media was Debian 5.0 CD1   Kernel installed was
linux-image-2.6.26-2-686.

This is my first foray into propper server hardware - be it very old
so any advice is welcomed.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.