Re: no sound on lenny

On Friday 17 April 2009 21:05, you wrote:
> Nigel,
>
> Ok here you go:
>
> type of system:
> gateway 7200X CTO desktop
> pentium II 3.0ghz
> 4 gb ram 250 gb harddrive
>
> output from "cat /proc/asound/cards"
>
>  0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
>                       HDA Intel at 0x92200000 irq 16
>
> output from "lsmod | grep -i 'snd'" :
>
> snd_hda_intel         325688  6
> snd_pcm                62596  3 snd_hda_intel
> snd_seq                41456  0
> snd_timer              17800  4 snd_pcm,snd_seq
> snd_seq_device          6380  1 snd_seq
> snd                    45604  13
> snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device soundcore
>    6368  1 snd
> snd_page_alloc          7816  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
>
> I used alsamixer and sure enough everything was muted, but I unmuted
> master, pcm, front side and surround lfe ... everything except for the
> microphone and capture stuff since I don't have a mic at all.
>
> still nothing.

You appear to be missing some modules which should be loaded as below

snd-pcm-oss
snd-mixer-oss
snd-seq-oss

Open synaptic as root on the CLI, and see if the oss-compat package is
installed, if not, install it, then reboot, and see if sounds now work.

Your lsmod | grep snd should now show the above modules loaded in addition to
the previous modules, and perhaps now the sound is working.

Post back the latest output from, lsmod | grep snd

Nigel.