Re: HOWTO run xorg without hal

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:06:34PM +0100, Graham wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 00:00:22 +0300
> Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
>
> > They know exactly what they do, and it's been in experimental for
> > testing for a long time now. The whole idea is to allow hot plugging
> > devices such as mice, printers etc. If you look in
> > /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/
> > there are even quite a lot of rules already set up. for most cases
> > and people it is now possible to run X with a (nearly) empty
> > xorg.conf and things just work.
> > and as you mentioned it is still possible to disable it
>
> Any reason why this can't be a recommends?

If you look here:
http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/CurrentProblemsInUnstable you'll
see that as of yesterday at least one person involved thinks they
might reduce that dependency. Of course the tenor of the related bug
report suggests otherwise, at least it is in discussion. Though many
may not like the current situation the fact that we can at least
discuss it and have an opportunity to change it is encouraging.