Adding Firmware to Custom Kernel

Hi everybody,

I've got a new Dell Poweredge server that needs two pieces of firmware
for it to work successfully.  The first is the firmware for the Qlogic
Fiber Channel card.  The second is firmware for a Broadcom ethernet
port.

This box is running Debian Lenny.  When I did the install of the
operating system, the Debian installer informed me that it needed
firmware for these two drivers and it prompted me to place the firmware
on to a USB stick.  I did so, and the installation proceeded without any
problems.

Then, I built a custom 2.6.27.19 kernel using the stock kernel source
from kernel.org.  I didn't use the kernel-package, but rather a
standard, make bzImage, make modules, make modules_install, mkinitramfs
. . . as I've done for years.

However, when I attempted to reboot into the custom 2.6.27.19 kernel,
Debian informed me that it couldn't locate the qlogic firmware.
However, I have installed the following debian packages:

firmware-bnx2
firmware-qlogic

and I see the firmware in /lib/firmware.  The message I receive upon
boot is:

Firmware image not available.
firmware images can be retrieve from
ftp://ftp.qlogic.com/outgoing/linux/firmware
Attempting to load (potentially outdated) firmware from flash

I'm guessing that when I created my initrd image (using mkinitramfs)
that something didn't go right.  Or am I missing some step?

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks,
Bryan Walton

--
Bryan K. Walton				 Division of Physiologic Imaging
Systems Administrator		University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics