Re: Adding Firmware to Custom Kernel

Hi,
On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:16 PM, Walton, Bryan K
<bryan-walton@uiowa.edu> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I've got a new Dell Poweredge server that needs two pieces of firmware
> for it to work successfully.  The first is the firmware for the Qlogic
> Fiber Channel card.  The second is firmware for a Broadcom ethernet
> port.
>
> This box is running Debian Lenny.  When I did the install of the
> operating system, the Debian installer informed me that it needed
> firmware for these two drivers and it prompted me to place the firmware
> on to a USB stick.  I did so, and the installation proceeded without any
> problems.
>
> Then, I built a custom 2.6.27.19 kernel using the stock kernel source
> from kernel.org.  I didn't use the kernel-package, but rather a
> standard, make bzImage, make modules, make modules_install, mkinitramfs
> . . . as I've done for years.
My two cents, "make modules" and "make bzImage" are not longer necessary [1]

> However, when I attempted to reboot into the custom 2.6.27.19 kernel,
> Debian informed me that it couldn't locate the qlogic firmware.
> However, I have installed the following debian packages:
>
> firmware-bnx2
> firmware-qlogic
>
> and I see the firmware in /lib/firmware.  The message I receive upon
> boot is:
>
> Firmware image not available.
> firmware images can be retrieve from
> ftp://ftp.qlogic.com/outgoing/linux/firmware
> Attempting to load (potentially outdated) firmware from flash
>
> I'm guessing that when I created my initrd image (using mkinitramfs)
> that something didn't go right.  Or am I missing some step?
I think so, decompress your initrd image and check it.

There is a bug [2] that could give a hint (note this is in sid
version, so perhaps is not related)

Regards,

[1] http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.6/README?PAGE=diffs&REV=404431d7VECSMv89GcIcOlKdlD7zew