Re: Rsync Permissions Issue

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 09:45:05PM -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> I'm trying to use rsync to back up from one computer to another.
> Recently I had used NIS so all my systems had the same user on them so
> there was never a permission issue.  Now I'm trying to back up from my
> iMac to my Debian server.  I can't put the iMac on NIS (or probably
> could, but it would NOT be fun to set up, I'm sure).

Similar situation but with ldap :)

> In the past I could use:
>
> rsync -av server::Writing /data/Writing
>
> And all my writing would be backed up from the local /data/writing to
> the server.  Now that I'm not using NIS, I use:
>
> rsync -av me@server::Writing /data/Writing
>
> I get errors when I do that, so after some tinkering, I got some
> directories to back up and I see that rsync is saving the files as
> "nobody:nogroup" or with the user number 65534.
>
> My understanding of rsync is that if I use "name@system::Service" that
> it logs into that server using the specified username, but since rsync
> is saving files as "nobody," then that's not happening.  I do have the
> systems set up so the server does not allow password logins via ssh and
> the guest (the iMac) is known user with the rsa id on the server and when
> I want to ssh to the server, just "ssh server" will get me logged in.
>
> What do I need to do to tell rsync on the host system (the server) to
> use the specified user name?

There has already been an answer giving before, but I would suggested a
different approach.

on the linux server have something like

/exports/imac/backups

do chown 0.0 /exports/imac ; chmod u=rwx,go= /exports/imac/, just to
stop prying eyes

then export /exports/imac/backups, mount this from  the imac and rsync
locally on the imac, it will preserve the uid,gid

Alex

--
This is very similar to the suggestion put forward by the Quirmian
philosopher Ventre, who said, "Possibly the gods exist, and possibly they