Re: Missing dependencies of soundtracker

On Sunday 12 April 2009 20:51, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 18:07:03 +0200, Marcin Kłapkowski wrote:
> > Florian Kulzer pisze:

> [...]
> >>
> >> Right now it might still be possible to install the package if you add
> >> both "testing" and "stable" to your sources list (and run "apt-get
> >> update" afterwards).
> >>
> >> You could also try the soundtracker-gtk2 package mentioned in bug
> >> #519641.
> >
> > soundtracker-gtk2 wasn't installed, because of dependency lack: gtk+-2.0
> > but, after adding lenny repo as you told me, i have possibility to
> > install soundtracer with whole gtk1.2 dependencies. great, but din't it
> > harm my system? and should i add lenny updates to it or not? i worry
> > about packages conflicts too.
>
> I don't think you will harm your system; however, make sure that you
> have the Lenny security updates in your sources list as well.
>
> I have have no idea if the soundtracker program itself will still work -
> see also Nigel's earlier message about its state on Lenny - and keeping
> soundtracker installed and running on Sid will probably become more and
> more difficult as Sid evolves further and further away from Lenny.
>
> --
> Regards,            | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
>           Florian   |

Hi Florian.

I've just booted up my Etch install, which is on the same machine as Lenny.and
soundtracker works ok, without any problem on Etch. It appears to be an
earlier version of Soundtracker though (0.6.8-2 (stable)).

Perhaps I should contact  the Soundtracker maintainer who appears to be:
Junichi Uskawa<dancer@debian.org>

It's a shame when the authors/maintainers of packages have lost interest in
providing support for the packages that they have been maintaining.

I suppose we could always install soundtracker from a source tarball. I've
dealt with dependency hell before, and it's not a lot of fun, but sometimes
with a bit of help from the lists, you can get the app up, and running.

Nigel.