Re: Making ATI and Broadcom work on a Lenny laptop

Dne sobota 11 april 2009 ob 21:26:49 je Kelly Clowers napisal(a):
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 10:03, Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
> > Howdie!
> >
> > Anyone tried to make an ATI 1200 and a BCM4328 work on a Lenny laptop? I
> > am trying to finalize my Lenny installation on a HP Compaq 6715b and have
> > a few questions:
> > Should I just leave the graphics as it is, or is it advisable to install
> > the proprietary ATI Catalyst drivers (and WHICH ones and HOW)?
>
> An x1200 should just work, with 3d acceleration, with the "radeon" driver.
>
> > Is the Broadcom hybrid driver still the best option for making the
> > BCM4328 wireless chip work? Is the patch needed? How do you go about
> > compiling, installing the driver, and making the driver permanent (i.e.
> > load at every boot)? In short, what is your experience, what would be my
> > best bet for the above graphics chip and wireless chip in Debian Lenny?
>
> It looks like b43 does not support the 4328, so ndiswrapper is probably
> the best bet. This might be a place to start:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Feisty_No-Fluff

Thanx for answering. Anyway, I'm prejudiced against ndiswrapper (used to be a
Windows user for many years, so now I shiver at every gates/windows I see). So
I've tried to compile the original broadcom ("hybrid" or "wl") driver from the
Broadcom website and it does work. No need to install the patch either
(although there are some indications that ssh won't work). Only nuisance: you
have to recompile it every time the kernel gets updated :(.

Best instructions I've managed to find:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=30648&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=2782df86cc404fde6d75b631594c3053

P.S. Of course, the driver is every bit as tainted as ndiswrapper. But at
least it's not M$-tainted... ;)