Re: WinBlow$ Home Server equivalent

On Saturday 11 April 2009, Tapani Tarvainen wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 11:28:35AM +0100, Alan Chandler
(alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk) wrote:> > I am currently planning my next
upgrades - my desktop machine has
> > run out of disk space, my server is getting old and has also almost
> > run out of disk space so I need to plan an upgrade path for that
> > too.  I think raid 1 will allow me to "fail" one disk, and then
> > replace it with a larger one, then "fail" the other add replace
> > that too.
>
> That'll work, but leaves you vulnerable to disk failure during the
> transition. If you can temporarily connect the new disks (or just one
> of them at a time) simultaneously with old ones, it'd be safer to
> extend the raid1 into 3-way mirror first, then reduce it back to
> 2-way leaving one of the old ones out, and doing that again for
> the second new disk.

Thanks for that - not thought about it before, mainly because my desktop
chassis only holds two disks.  But for a short while I could probably
cope with a third in an external chassis that I have.
--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk