Re: Lenny overheating, preventing installation

Dne sobota 11 april 2009 ob 10:28:15 je Adrian Levi napisal(a):
> 2009/4/11 Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr>:
> > Starting the new 5.00 Lenny DVD and selecting (any type of) install, some
> > 5 to 10 minutes into the installation process, my laptop overheats and
> > shuts down. It's a HP Compaq 6715b with an AMD Turion 64 and an ATI
> > Radeon 1200. Needless to say, I have the BIOS option "Fan always ON when
> > on AC power" set to enabled, but to no avail. Same happens if I set the
> > option to off. Is there ANY way to install Lenny on such laptops? Does it
> > happen with other laptops too?
>
> I don't have overheating problems on my Acer Aspire 5920.
>
> What do you have the laptop sitting on? Table? Can you raise is to get
> some more airflow under the bottom?
>
> I have a length of timber under the back of the laptop to raise the
> back and provide a better typing angle, doesn't look pretty but is
> cheap and works.
>
> Adrian
>
> --
> 24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
> <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to
> ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my
> apartment it is.

Thx for answering. Tried that. And yes, it's on a hard, flat table top. Also
tried to set the laptop on its side, vertically - no go. Also tried a big
table fan - no go. My impression is, Lenny doesn't scale my CPU; well, I know
from experience (happens when my OpenSuSE install - although very rarely -
locks up) that when maxed out (2 GHz @ 100% usage), the lapdog (no pun
intended) will overheat BY DEFAULT, NO MATTER what I do. I suppose it's just
not meant to be used without CPU scaling - by design... Just as car engines
won't work without cooling, if you know what I mean.

Should perhaps point out that this does NOT happen on ANY other linux distros
I've tried, and I've tried many - from Fedora and Mandriva to Damn Small and
Ubuntu.