Re: Advice on raid/lvm

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 08:05:32AM +0300, Tapani Tarvainen wrote:

> > >Speed.
> >
> > Not much, if any.  LVM can stripe data across pvs ala RAID-0.
>
> Well, then you are doing software raid10, even though not with md. :-)
> But yes, the above description is ambiguous, and indeed lvm can
> do striping and mirroring (could before md was invented, or even
> before Linux ever got either).
>
> I once compared raid0 with md vs. lvm striping (being used with
> the latter from hp-ux), and decided to go with the former.
> There wasn't much difference in speed as I recall, but md allowed
> making bootable raid1 and it seemed better supported in Linux.

the last time I looked at raid1 md v's lvm. the conclusions I made where
md uses 2 block devices where as setting up raid 1 lv required 3 blocks
from the vg group

Plus the day to day functionality  / management of lvm raid1 is not
close to that of md

Alex

--
"Dick Cheney and I do not want this nation to be in a recession. We want anybody who can find work to be able to find work."

	- George W. Bush
12/05/2000
60 minutes II, CBS