Re: WinBlow$ Home Server equivalent

In <[🔎] 727247.1222.qm@web65713.mail.ac4.yahoo.com>, Phillipus Gunawan wrote:
>My friend told me about Home Server, and when I have a read about it, wow
>The only feature that interest me is "Drive Extender"
>
>(taken from Windows Home Server Technical Brief - Drive Extender.docx)
>"....
>As you add more hard
>drives to your home server, they are treated as a single large pool of
>available storage space. You no longer need to deal with drive letters (such
> as E:, F:, and G: ) because you can add more hard drives."

So far, sounds like UNIX in general or LVM in specific.

>Windows Home Server Drive Extender is different than and more powerful than
> a redundant array of independent disks (RAID) in several ways:
>
>•    You can use any hard drive, any time. You are not restricted to adding
> more hard drives of the same type and size. When you want to grow your home
> server storage, you can buy and add any hard drive you like. •    Internal
> and external hard drives can be used to grow your storage. No space in your
> home computer case? No problem—plug in one or more hard drives of your
> choice. •    Drive removal is easy. After you have had your home server for
> awhile, you may want to remove older, smaller hard drives and add new,
> larger hard drives so that you can store more files. ...."

Well, ZFS might handle this, but I don't know of any other tools of Linux that
handle this nearly as well or transparently.  I have heard of the Drobo NASes
that do something very similar, and was instantly interested in implementing
something similar in Linux (device mapper + mdadm is certainly capable) but
haven't found time.

>"....
>The Windows Home Server Console enables you to configure the server storage
> and shared folders on your home server. The Server Storage tab allows you
> to view, add, and remove hard drives on your home server. You can see the
> status of your server storage, and attempt to repair hard drives that show
> a status of Unhealthy. You can also see a graphical representation of the
> total disk-space usage on your home server. ..."

Even with something like the Drobo, I don't know of an application (web or
otherwise) that lets you have fine-grained control like this.  The Drobo does
have some web interface, but I believe it assumed any drive in the enclosure
is supposed to be part of the storage pool.