Re: Advice on raid/lvm

Tapani Tarvainen <debian@tapanitarvainen.fi> writes:
>> What load of gunk will be dumped into / to take it bigger than 500 MB?
>
> I've got a box where /lib takes 200MB now, of which /lib/modules is
> 140MB - and that's per kernel, during kernel updates it temporarily
> doubles, taking /lib to 340MB or thereabouts.
>
> I do't see it at all impossible that the 500MB I have for / there now
> will get too small before the machine is retired.

I've got a box with a 200MB root partition, so I'm very sensitive to
such bloat.  500MB seems like luxury!  :-)

For a short period (2.6.28), the size of the kernel module tree in
debian bloated up dramatically (they increased the max cpus to 512 and
some per-module data structures used a fair amount of initialized space
proportional to the number of cpus), but due to data structure
improvements, it's back down to ~80MB per kernel in 2.6.29...

-Miles

--
Neighbor, n. One whom we are commanded to love as ourselves, and who does all
he knows how to make us disobedient.