Re: etch to lenny upgrade - X apps no longer see keystrokes?

Received Thu 09 Apr 2009  9:12pm +1000 from Thorny:
> On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 18:10:41 +1000, Graham Williams posted:
>
> > Have just upgraded a fairly vanilla etch install on a Dell Precision 690
> > (AMD64) with an nvidia graphics chip. All seemed to proceed well, but on
> > reboot and starting up GDM, most key presses result in the screen
> > resolution changing - I can't login!
> >
> > After quite a bit of research and attempts to determine what is going on,
> > I have run out of ideas! Ctrl-Alt-f1, etc, do not function.  The simplest
> > way I've figured out to log on is through single user mode. Keyboard works
> > just fine there. Booting into a Red Hat partition is also just fine.
> >
> > I've created a .xinitrc which only runs xev so I can see what keys it is
> > seeing. When I run with video driver as "nv" (in /etc/X11/xorg.conf) xev
> > is not seeing any keyboard activity. Changing to "vga" at least I can see
> > that xev gets the keystrokes (but the screen is not usable). Changing to
> > "vesa" exhibits the same behaviour as "nv" - that is, no keys reported by
> > xev, and any key press seems to change the screen resolution.
> >
> > With the "nv" driver (xserver-xorg-video-nv) I can seeverything on the
> > screen. Mouse and menus work.  Ctl-Alt-Backspace works (to terminate X11).
> > But most other keys simple cause this screen resolution change.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> When you upgraded from etch to lenny did you follow the release notes for
> upgrading?
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/releasenotes
> If not, have a look now and see if anything you did might have caused
> trouble, and then determine if there is any way you can back out
> gracefully and redo things.

Thanks Thorny. Yes I did follow the release notes in upgrading and
have been trawling through the upgrade-lenny.script file and my wajig
log for clues. Trying to purge various X and friends and reinstalling
(and trying to stay with stable rather than testing or sid because
this is a test upgrade for a bunch of servers deployed in
production)..... no luck yet.

Regards,
Graham