Re: Disabling RSA host key check temporarily

>> Thank you, Ken, I am aware of that list and subscribe to it. That list is
>> great for Microsoft bashing, discussing animal-themed backgrounds twice a
>> year, and bikesheding. Technical issues are understood by a overwhelmed
>> and outvoiced minority there. Which is quite why I posted my question
>> here.
>>
> Humm, would you care to repeat this over on those lists? Res would agree
> with you.

Yes, I have mentioned that on the [k]ubuntu lists. Those lists have
their place, and I have learned a lot from them, but I subscribe there
more to help than to be helped. Which is sad because my knowledge
level is not very high, and I have to be careful not to give bad
advice. I usually answer the non-technical questions only. Which is
quite why I mentioned the bikesheding on those lists. I'm a part of
it, I admit.

> You need to identify what distro you are using because there are
> differences among them (this includes branches of Debian) which can make a
> difference in what specific advice is given. It's not up to the poster
> asking for help to decide if the issue is generic or not, posters asking
> for help often misjudge things, the poster should give clear, correct,
> and, as far as possible, complete data about the environment and the
> problem. This is nothing about elitism, that is another issue.

While your point is valid, if there is a difference then I would
actually like to learn the Debian way and then fit that to any
specific problem with Ubuntu. There is also the point about Ubuntu
users being perceived as below-average competence that I would like to
avoid. I have good reasons for using Ubuntu (For one, it installs with
no problems on my laptop. For another, I install it for friends for
whom Debian is not appropriate.) but Debian is my "home".

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il