Re: Advice on raid/lvm

On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 02:17:03PM +1000, Alex Samad (alex@samad.com.au) wrote:

> > Aiming to get a couple of 1Tb drives to migrate the 3x500Gb RAID5
> > array to a RAID1 and use two of the 500Gb drives for thhe new boot
> > drive with LVM (With /boot / /home and so on on it).
>
> so you are going to have
>
> md0 = raid1 2 x 500Gb
> md1 = raid1 2 x 1Tb

Not necessarily, it might make sense to partition the drives
in smaller pieces and raid them separately.
But:

> I would create 3 partitions on the 500GB drives
> 500M /boot (ext2 or ext3)
> 20G / (ext3)

Could you explain the rationale behind this?
It doesn't make any sense to me.
The only (?) point in having a separate /boot
is when you can't boot directly off /,
like when it's in LVM or RAID5 or encrypted
or something like that.

If you are going to make non-LVM, non-encrypted, RAID1 ext3 /,
you can boot off it directly, without separate /boot.

If you are making separate /boot, you might as well
put / under LVM (which is what I'd do - and indeed
what I have done with just about every machine I have
installed since I've forgotten when).

--
Tapani Tarvainen