Re: KDE: Clicking a link in kmail brings konqueror to the foreground (with focus), unlike the behavior on my old Mandriva2006 installation

On Wednesday 08 April 2009 04:58:37 pm Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Tue,07.Apr.09, 09:00:26, Randy Kramer wrote:
> >    * but this will bring konqueror to the foreground, with the
> > focus, obscuring kmail (this is bad, not what I prefer, and not the
> > behavior I had on Mandriva2006) and requiring me to do things to
> > restore kmail to the foreground and get the focus back to kmail.
>
> Iceweasel does the same and it even changes desktops. My solution was
> to start it in a different desktop and prevent it from changing
> desktops through the window manager. I'm using Xfce4 though, not sure
> if KDE can do this.

Let me make sure I understand:  With iceweasel on a different desktop,
kmail still finds it and opens links in it (when a link is clicked in
kmail)?

That's not what I'm looking for, but could be an alternate workaround.

But, the other problem would be that since I keep konqueror open on
several of my desktops, it would probably be unpredictable where (on
which instance of konqueror) any particular link opened up.  So
probably not all that desirable after all.

I'm still wondering what happened to the old behavior--did KDE 3.4.2
have some capability that no longer exists in 3.5.10/3.5.9, or did
Mandriva (2006) have some secret sauce that nobody else knew about?

Randy Kramer
--
I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
instead.--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.