Re: install daemon without starting it

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 01:34:57PM -0400, Barclay, Daniel wrote:
> John Hasler wrote:
> > Daniel writes:
> >> Debian packages should have some standard place to go to to see those
> >> latter kinds of information.  If it did, that place could also hold an
> >> indication of any daemons started (or installed but pending further
> >> configuration) by installing a package.
> >
> > /usr/share/doc/<packagename> contains README.debian, the upstream README,
> > and any other documentation provided by upstream other than man pages and
> > info files.
>
> Yes, I know.  But there's little or no consistency, and I don't recall
> seeing one that said things like what daemons were started, or what commands
> are newly available.

You're arguing what the policy should be.  Debian is based on policy,
but perhaps it's better to specify the minimum level of policy that
results in a working system.

What you want is a convenience for you, but an amount of work and
necessary maintenance for many people, not to mention policing and
bug-reporting to get all packages to comply.

The information you seek is available.  To get a hint of 'what commands
are available' I often do:

    $ dpkg -L | grep bin/

The source is available, e.g.,

    $ apt-get source <package>

so use it.   Check out the init.d script to see what it does, what it
runs, then look at those scripts, etc.

File a bug if you find a problem with the documentation, scripts, code,
etc. of a particular package, but be reasonable, and realize you're asking
somebody to do work and pay attention to your issue.

Ken

--
Ken Irving