Re: NFS server still fails after upgrade to lenny

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 22:28:59 +0100, Michael Wagner wrote:

> * Michael Wagner <michaeldebian@web.de> 10.03.2009
>
>> I have had the same problem here with sid on the workstation and lenny
>> on the server. I found on the net the solution to write in
>> /etc/default/rcS.
>>
>> ASYNCMOUNTNFS=no
>
> sorry for the incomplet answer. You must write this on the client in
> /etc/default/rcS
>
> Michael

Finally had time to try that.  It doesn't work.  On mounting /farhome
from the client I still get

# mount /farhome
mount.nfs: mount to NFS server '172.25.1.11' failed: RPC Error: Program not registered.

It works when I boot etch on the server, but not when I boot lenny
on the server.  Evidently, the upgrade from etch to lenny lost
something, and as a result, some essential program on the server
is not registered.

What I need to know: What program needs to be registered, presumably
on the server, and what do I have to do to make sure the program
*is* registered in lenny.  Do I need to edit some configuration file?
Do I need to dpkg-reconfigure some package?

I doubt it's a client problem -- it behaves the same whether I boot etch,
lenny, or a not-quite-up-to-date testing on the client.

It fails with lenny on the server, but succeeds with etch on the server.
(I kept an etch backup on another partition when I upgraded to lenny.
I'm glad I did)

-- hendrik