Re: Debian's glacial movement--a rant

On 12/23/-28158 12:59 PM, Freddy Freeloader wrote:
I've never been pissed off at Debian before but I guess there is always a first.

I'm experiencing a bug in Gnucash that appeared a couple of days ago on my system that makes Gnucash completely unusable for me. I turned in a bug report on Friday, checked on it yesterday, and by today the bug had been blocked from being displayed. It could be found by searching Debian's bug tracker, but only if you know the bug id number. If you just search for bugs in Gnucash the bug does not appear to exist.

The bug was closed, and blocked, because it's been fixed upstream in version 2.2.9 which was released by Gnucash in February of this year. Great. The bug has been fixed. Why it needed to be hidden from being displayed is puzzler for me, but that's the way it is.

Now the bad news.

Since Gnucash in both Sid and Sqeeze is now at version 2.2.6 I only have to wait until Debian works through versions 2.2.7 and 2.2.8 before Gnucash in Debian finally becomes usable for me again in version 2.2.9. As Sid is "only" 9 months behind Gnucash's release schedule at this point I guess the fact that all my business records for the last couple of years are in Gnucash means I'll be able to start doing my business accounting again sometime after the first of next year, at a minimum, if I wait for Debian....
I have no idea about the requirements for GC, but that doesn't prevent me from expressing an opinion!

For this reason, I rarely rely on Debianized versions of packages important to my personal productivity. For example, Firefox, Java, OpenOffice, Eclipse, Google Web Toolkit, Thunderbird are all installed from their respective sites. I consider it an important aspect of Debian that I can install into /usr/local and not trash the distro. That doesn't always work (certain Perl modules come to mind).

How about installing it independently of Debian? However, from a quick scan of the site (gnucash.org), it looks like there's only a Windows binary.

Is compiling from source a no-go? In certain cases, I've had to wait for a Debianized version. e.g. Task Juggler went to the lastest gcc before Debian. If GC is using a gcc version that's not in your current Debian sources list, there may be an issue.

Oh - and flames from Debian fanbois? > dev/null