Re: install daemon without starting it

On Mon,06.Apr.09, 13:21:49, Barclay, Daniel wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Mon,06.Apr.09, 12:52:02, Barclay, Daniel wrote:
> >
> >> Debian packages should have some standard place to go to to see those
> >> latter kinds of information.  If it did, that place could also hold
> >> an indication of any daemons started (or installed but pending further
> >> configuration) by installing a package.
> >
> > Sounds like /usr/share/doc/<package>/README.Debian to me.
>
> Maybe, if it can be somewhat structured or auto-generated.

Auto generated from what? The package contents can be obtained with
dpkg.

>  > Ok, many of them could be improved, ...
>
> Exactly.
>
> First we'd need a standard or some guidelines about what should be in there.

It would be quite difficult to write a guideline that would fit for both
samba and mpd. Rather file bugs (preferably with suggested wording or
even a patch) where you think it's necessary. I usually find enough
information in there to know were to look further.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)