Re: unable to boot, how to install the package that cause problem?

On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 09:53:36PM -0500, zhang zhengquan wrote:
> Dear debian users,

Good afternoon

> I have installed some boot splash related packages on my girlfriends
> laptop running sid,
> and it turned out that it is unable to boot after that,

Ah damn! :)

> I have a system rescue cd that boots well in to another linux on the cdrom.

Great.

> I wonder if it is possible to uninstall the package installed on
> debian using the system rescue cd?

I'm sure it is... Perhaps not the best way: but you could mount the
partition eg.
mount /dev/sda1 /mountpoint

Now just run
a find command on /usr or whatever directory it is installed in and
delete the binaries. Otherwise just find out which start up script is
starting it and remove the call to start it on boot. This should allow
you to boot the machine then use aptitude to remove it.
Perhaps consult /etc/rcS.d/ or rcconf, or /etc/rc.local, but most likeley not...

But I would first look in the boot scripts.

Daniel.