Re: install daemon without starting it

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 17:23:09 +0200, Jukka Salmi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is it possible to install a daemon from a Debian package without having
> it automatically started afterwards?
>
> What I want to do is to install samba, but neither smbd nor nbmd
> should be started until I had a chance to edit smb.conf(5) manually...
>

> TIA, Jukka

Just after the package install, the daemon is launched. You will have to make
a :
/etc/init.d/xxxx stop

Some daemon come with a /etc/default/xxxx file in which you can set a
parameter to no,false,... to not launch the daemon at boot time.

May be samba comes with this sort of file and i can't test now.

Regards,
Laurent.

--
Laurent Guignard, Registered as user #301590 with the Linux Counter
Site : http://www.famille-guignard.org