Re: new problem - networking is strange

H.S. wrote:
Is udev giving your interface a new name (ethx instead of, say eth0)?
how would I check that, and why would it just start doing that?

You could just list the devices:
$> /sbin/ifconfig -a

and ensure you have the correctly named eth device(s). And perhaps
verify their mac addresses.

Why does it change? I am not sure, but I have had to face this kind of
problem in the past a few times, usually following a kernel upgrade or
udev upgrade or by chaning the network hardware.

well it sure seems like the interface is now coming up with the name eth3 - when I change the line in /etc/network/interfaces to read eth3, all comes up - but this is sure weird

I haven't really done anything to change things.

Miles

--
Miles R. Fidelman, Director of Government Programs
Traverse Technologies 145 Tremont Street, 3rd Floor