Re: HELP!!! trying to recover crashed system - update

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@traversetechnologies.com> wrote:
Update:

Well, back on the air, sort of.  Thanks for the pointers to tools - systemrescuecd was very helpful.

That's great to hear!

What was really helpful was realizing that not only did I have a hardware problem with my server's motherboard, but one (of 4) drives was so badly corrupted that when I stuck it in by backup chassis, it kept things from coming up.  Once I removed that drive, the backup system came up.

This is what I suspected in my previous post.

If anybody has any suggestions on how to rebuild RAID sets (or pointers to a good HOWTO), that would be very much appreciated.

I've never used Sarge so I don't know what md tools exist in that environment.  To rebuild a raid using mdadm, it's as simple as this:

# mdadm --remove /dev/md0 /dev/hdb1

Then replace the disk with the good one.

# mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/hdb1

Where md0 is your md device and hdb1 is first the failed disk, and then the newly created (by you) partition on the newly inserted disk.  You can then monitor the integration of that disk like this:

# mdadm -D /dev/md0

This is how it's accomplished in my environment, your milage may vary, but I hope this points you in the right direction!

--
Chris