Re: /etc/init.d/networking restart does not change IP address. I have to reboot. Help.

On 2009-04-04 14:45 +0200, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 2009-04-04 07:21, Foss User wrote:
>> So, should I add the following line:
>>
>> auto eth0
>>
>> before this line:
>>
>> allow-hotplug eth0
>>

> I think he said that you need to *change*, not *add*.

This is what I meant, yes.  AFAIK auto and allow-hotplug are mutually
exclusive, but interfaces(5) is a bit unclear in that point.

>> What is the use of allow-hotplug eth0? Can I remove the allow-hotplug line?

There are at least two use cases:

- A network device might not always be present (such as a USB WLAN
  adapter), and you want to bring up the interface automatically
  whenever you plug in the device.

- You use DHCP to get an IP.  IIRC, dhclient will run in the foreground
  and thus slow down the boot process if the interface is "auto"; but it
  nicely runs in the background if the interface is "allow-hotplug".

Since Foss User has a static IP and probably not a removable network
card, neither of these reasons apply.

Sven