Re: /etc/init.d/networking restart does not change IP address. I have to reboot. Help.

On 2009-04-04 07:21, Foss User wrote:
On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
On 2009-04-04 13:28 +0200, Foss User wrote:
[snip]

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is your problem, you probably want to change that to "auto".

iface eth0 inet static
        address 10.31.253.153
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 10.31.253.0
        broadcast 10.31.253.255
        gateway 10.31.253.1
        # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
        dns-nameservers 10.100.8.203

Then I edit only the 'address' line of 'iface eth0 inet static' to:

address 10.31.253.154

[snip]

So, should I add the following line:

auto eth0

before this line:

allow-hotplug eth0

I think he said that you need to *change*, not *add*.

What is the use of allow-hotplug eth0? Can I remove the allow-hotplug line?

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer