Re: Avoiding install of ALL X video drivers

On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 12:40:40 +0100, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> Greets,
>
> When installing X (basically apt-get install xserver-xorg or, what i
> usd just now, apt-get install xfce4) in depends on ALL the input and
> output drivers it can find. I only have one graphics card and the
> keyboard+mouse are probably provided by one input driver.
>
> Are there any ways to circumvert this? If i find out just exactly
> which drivers i need, and then install X, will it 'see' that and not
> install drivers?

$ aptitude why xfce4 xserver-xorg-video-all
p   xfce4        Recommends xorg
i   xorg         Depends    xserver-xorg
i   xserver-xorg Depends    xserver-xorg-video-all | xserver-xorg-video-2

You can uninstall xserver-xorg-video-all and all unused drivers as long
as you keep at least one package that provides "xserver-xorg-video-2".
The same holds for xserver-xorg-input-all and the individual input
drivers.

If you install the correct video-* and input-* packages before you
install xfce4 then apt-get should not pull in the *-all packages because
the alternative dependency on *-2 is already satisfied. (However, I did
not test this with apt-get; I can only confirm that aptitude handles
this case correctly.)

          Florian   |