Re: Drives can't be mounted as a normal user

On Sat,04.Apr.09, 00:21:31, Bibek Paudel wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 12:04 AM, Andrei Popescu
> <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You shouldn't login as root. Use 'su' or 'sudo' or 'gksu' instead.
>
> This is not a question of I should or shouldn't. Of course, since I'm
> asking a solution for non-root user, you should be understanding that
> I know how to use su, sudo or gksu. I just compared and explained how
> the same thing is OK while logged in as root, but not, while logged in
> as non-root user.

Please don't take my advice the wrong way, no offence intended. It's
just that some users do login into X as root routinely, which is a Bad
Thing.

> > AFAICT you need to be a member of 'floppy', not 'plugdev'.
>
> The said user is a member of the group "floppy" too.

Sorry, that would have worked for removable drives. For other partitions
on the same device as your root partition you will need to create proper
fstab entries and adjust permissions on the directories and files
accordingly.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)