Installing on a Compact Flash card. Solved??

Well, after doing the GRUB MBR reinstall a dozen different ways I
decided that it wasn't the software. I took the laptop apart and pulled
the CF out, plugged it into my desktop through a USB-to-IDE connector,
and it booted!

I can successfully boot and use the CF drive on the desktop but putting
it back in the laptop results in the same problems. I guess it wasn't
meant to be and this +10yr old laptop really is at the end of the road.
:-/

Oh well. I have had my eye on the touchbook[1] for a while now. Maybe it
is time to upgrade.

Thanks anyway for your help and suggestions!

[1] http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/touchbook/

~Stack~