Re: more aptitude confusion

On 2009-04-02 21:09 +0200, Rick Pasotto wrote:

> Today 'aptitude -s install safe-upgrade' included audacity and
> audacity-data. I upgraded them and now audacity doesn't work. So I go to
> /var/cache/apt/archives so I could downgrade to the previous version.
> However, the most recent .deb file is timestamped March 5 -- almost a
> month ago and the version number is the same as what I'm currently
> running.
>
> How could that happen?

Because the package was built on that day, but migrated to testing only
yesterday[1].  You run testing, do you?

> When I say it doesn't work I mean it tells me it can't open the sound
> device. However, mocp has no problem playing the file. The program is
> also different in the way the menus are setup. It's reverted to the
> previous display. The 'Effects' menu is back to a long list rather than
> the shorter list with submenus.

Have you checked the BTS for this bug?  If you don't find such a report,
please file it yourself.

> I'm puzzled. More importantly, how do I get a functioning audacity?

Hurry up and download the previous version from your preferred mirror,
e.g. from [2].  Don't hesitate, it will be removed soon!

Sven

1. http://packages.qa.debian.org/a/audacity.html
2. http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/audacity/