Re: OT: eSATA card/chip opinions

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 07:46:06PM -0700, Kelly Clowers (kelly.clowers@gmail.com) wrote:

> MASSCOOL PCI-e 4 port SATA2 (SIL3132 Chip) Model XWT-PCIE10
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815280008
> (uses sata_sil24)

I've used a couple of Sil3132-based cards and I've been happy with them.
Note though that it only supports two ports - some cards (like the
one you link to) have 4 ports but only two can be used simultaneously
(so you can choose between external and internal ports).
Also, some cheap cards use internal-style connectors externally
instead of proper eSATA ones (don't know about this particular one).

> StarTech 2 Port PCI-Express eSATA/SATA (1 Int + 1 Ext) Card Model PEXESATA2I
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158095
> (uses (jmicron) AHCI)

No experience with this one.

--