Re: please help, destroyed ext3 root partition

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 06:47:54AM -0700, orange wrote:
> can someone please help me recover Debian ext3 partiton (/)
> I tried booting windowsxp by typing some commands at boot prompt and
> it seems to have trashed (MBR?) linux partition.
> the other Linux partitions are fine (home).
>
> is there a tool that can help me recover /
>
> I think I tried this:
> map (hd0) (hd1)
> map (hd1) (hd0)
>
> hide (hd0)

This seems to be a command to change partition table and BIOS assignment
of drives by GRUB.

Anyway, first thing to do is get boot CD to boot and install bootloader.

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch10.en.html#datastoragetips
http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch04.en.html

Osamu