Re: realtek RTL8168C/8111C performance issues

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 08:27:12PM -0400, Johan Kullstam wrote:
> Mikael Rudberg <mikael@iced.se> writes:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I've been using Debian for approx 5 years. I'm in the process of
> > building me a new NAS machine.
> > To that end i have bought a small NAS chassis and a DG945GCLF2 wich
> > has a atom 330 and realtek RTL8168C/8111 NIC. I have everything hooked
> > up to a Dink DGS-1008D gigbit switch
>
> [cut litany of realtek woes.  also complaint that external card won't
> fit in the case.]
>
> My Gigabyte board (ga-p35-ds3r) has a realtek on it.  It never worked
> right.  It would randomly not come back up after a reboot.  I dug up
> an old 3com 3c905b which works just fine for my home network.
>
> Unfortunately, nearly all motherboards seem to have this crap realtek
> chip.  I guess this doesn't actually help you.  I just wanted to let
> you know that you are not alone in suffering realtek.
>
> Does anyone have these things working reliably?

yes, get the source from the realtek site and compile for your kernel. I
had real problems with the one in the kernel

--
"I don't know why you're talking about Sweden. They're the neutral one. They don't have an army. "

	- George W. Bush
The Oval Office
during a Dec. 2002 Oval Office meeting with Rep. Tom Lantos, as reported by the New York Times