Re: Resizing LVM partition

On 2009-03-28 10:08, Daniel Bareiro wrote:
On Saturday, 28 March 2009 06:40:03 +0200,
Tapani Tarvainen wrote:

How I can to extend a LVM partition?
Why do you want to do that?

I've always thought it one of LVM's main attractions that it
it makes partition resizing almost totally unnecessary.

Instead, just create another LVM partition and add it to the existing
volume group (pvcreate, vgextend).

If there is some reason that won't do what you want, I'm curious to
hear what it is.

Mmmm... I had not thought about that alternative. But I would like, to
be possible, not to have to be creating partitions by each disk that
could be adding.

How difficult is it to create a partition? Not very. In fact, it's disgustingly quick and simple, using fdisk or cfdisk. If you need to create lots of them, script it with parted.

Anyway, filesystems are put on partitions, not drives. (Well, you *can*, but mkfs requires you to "force", with -F, the fs to go on a raw device instead of a partition.)

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"Freedom is not a license for anarchy."